New YouTube Tutorial
I found an old glass cabinet door in my stash, that I’m pretty sure I saved because of the mullions. Ironically, I decided to leave those off when I re-assembled my piece.
Follow along in the video to learn how to use the Looking Glass spray (which you can buy at the hardware store) and turn a normal piece of glass into an antique mirror look alike. BUT, if you love the look of the glass before you get to this point in the project, keep it as is. There are so many ways you can take this and make it your own.
I used One Hour Enamel by Wise Owl Paint on the frame and the back of the mirror. This product has a built in topcoat, which is why you didn’t see me topcoat. You may need to use sealer if you sue a different product.
A couple of tips for using the IOD Inlays on Glass:
- It’s super important to have a clean, dry surface and to trim your Inlays before you get started.
- Test the amount of time needed for the inlay to sit in your clear topcoat. I found that if I left it too long, fibers from the carrier sheet became embedded in the varnish.
- On a test piece, I left the inlay in varnish for a few hours. To release, I needed more water, which caused patches of the varnish and inlay both to lift off the glass.
- The best timing with the Wise Owl varnish to remove the carrier sheet was at about 10 minutes or until you can see the paper to partially, but not fully, dry.
- If you don’t like your design or want to edit it in any way, the varnish and inlay come up with rubbing alcohol and a razor blade. This is exactly what I did with this door— if you look closely at my before photo, you’ll notice pink flowers from leaving the varnish to dry too long. No biggie— its just paint!
- when you use Varnish as the Paint Inlay medium, it will NOT smear when you topcoat or sand. Bonus!
Please tag me on Social @serendipityhousellc if you try this— I can’t wait to see your creations :) xoxo Michelle
SUPPLY LIST & LINKS
Iron Orchid Designs Rose Chintz Paint Inlay https://serendipity.house/collections/paint-inlays
IOD Brayer https://serendipity.house/collections/iod-complimentary-products/products/brayer
Wise Owl Varnish https://serendipity.house/collections/wise-owl-paint-products/products/varnish
Wise Owl Chalk Synthesis Paint https://serendipity.house/collections/wise-owl-paint-products/products/wise-owl
Wise Owl One Hour Enamel https://serendipity.house/collections/wise-owl-paint-products/products/wise-owl-one-hour-enamel
Gilding Wax https://serendipity.house/collections/gilding/products/gilding-wax
Cling On Brushes https://serendipity.house/search?q=Cling+on
Water Bottle Turquoise Iris https://serendipity.house/products/water-girl-continuous-spray-bottle?_pos=1&_sid=3ac7e5a0f&_ss=r
Water Bottle Small Spritzer https://serendipity.house/products/mister-spray-bottle-4-oz?_pos=2&_sid=3ac7e5a0f&_ss=r